Sunday, February 1, 2009

Update: 8.10

Well, I have updated to Ubuntu 8.10. Some of you may already know this, if you're on IRC with me, or if you've been following my twitter feed.

The Good:

The Pulse Audio Support is much better in this release. I'm still not sold on the idea that pulse is the way to go, but at least I have (or rather had) Lives running, sort of had Cinelerra running, and Audacity is going fine.

Lives was running, then started crashing, not sure what I did there. Cinelerra is still not happy with the Ubuntu way of doing things. I'm not sure if it's something I'm doing wrong in my configuration or if it's just a compatibility issue.

The Bad:

Upgrading releases of Ubuntu has never (EVER) worked correctly for me. I've been running Ubuntu since the very early days. It was perhaps my fourth distro. (I started off with FC3, then 4, Mandriva, Debian then Ubuntu.) This trip around was no different. Lost my GUI and had to reinstall the nvidia drivers. Pain in the rear!

8.10 is loading slowly. I know I can probably fix this, but I don't want to HAVE to fix it.

Conclusion:

Ubuntu continues to be a very nice distro, but still falls down on the upgrade level. But the good news is that most people will NEVER need to really upgrade it. My parents are still running 7.04 on their home computer. It doesn't crash, it's stable and does what they need.

No comments: